Poker is a popular card game in any casino, whether it is land based or online. There are many different variations of poker, including some common variations and some far rarer options. Common variations of poker include Texas hold’em, Omaha, Omaha hi/lo, seven card stud, seven card stud hi/lo, five card stud and five card draw. Uncommon variations of poker include pineapple poker, crazy pineapple, guts and plenty more. There are also lowball games, Razz and mixed games such as H.O.R.S.E.
There are some basic rules and poker concepts that apply to all poker games, despite the fact that the specific rules vary.
Poker Hand Rankings
Before you can play a game of poker, you need to understand how the cards in the game are ranked. In some variations of poker, the lowest hand wins so make sure to familiarize yourself with the specific rules for the variation you are playing before you start the game.
The following are poker hand rankings from highest to lowest:
– Royal Flush – 10, J, Q, K, A, all in the same suit.
– Straight Flush – five consecutive cards, all in the same suit e.g. 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 of Hearts
– Four of a Kind – four cards of the same numerical value.
– Full House – three cards of one numerical value and two cards of another numerical value e.g. 4, 4, 4, K, K.
– Flush – Any five cards, all in the same suit e.g. 2, 5, 6, 10, Q of Hearts.
– Straight – five consecutive cards, in different suits.
– Three of a kind – three cards of one numerical value e.g. 3, 3, 3, X, Y.
– Two Pair – two separate pairs of cards with the same numerical value e.g. 4, 4, 8, 8, X
– Pair – one pair of cards with the same numerical value e.g. 4, 4, X, Y, Z
How to Play the Game of Poker
Before beginning the game of poker, all players must place an ante bet – the initial bet that is placed by all players.
The number of cards that a player holds in his hands may vary between the different types of poker games, however players will make up their final hands from a combination of five different cards. These cards will be compared between players according to the hand rankings listed above.
Some variations of poker make use of wild cards which can be substituted for any other card in order to make up a specific combination for a ranked hand. Wild cards must be determined before the game begins.
Winning at Poker
The player who holds the highest ranking hand wins the game. If none of the players in the game hold a hand that is listed among the ranked hands, then the cards are compared based on the “high card.” The player holding the highest card wins. If there is more than one player with the same high card, then the next highest card is compared. This is done until a winner is found.